Friday, April 15, 2011

Arts Explorer #7 Grocery Shopping with a Twist!

Art word of the week: “Shape”- “refers to the outside form of a two-dimensional object that has length and width” (Schirrmacher, R., & Fox, J.E. (2009). Art and creative development for young children (6th Ed.). Belmont,CA: Delmar, p.368).
                                                                                                                        
(1)   The category of food that I chose to focus on is.....FRUIT
(2)   Here is a list of all the different kinds of fruit I can think ok:
-apples             -bananas          -peaches          -papaya
-grapes             -avocados        -nectarines       -grapefruits
-cherries           -guava             -plums
-raspberries      -dragon fruit    -cantaloupe melon
-blueberries      -star fruit         -honey dew melon
-mangos           -figs                 -watermelon
      (3) Here are my sketches of my three chosen fruit:
                                                                     My Apple :)
                                                   
My Banana :)

My Grapes :)

What inspired me to choose the category of fruit is my part-time job. I work at a grocery store as a cashier, and most of the items I cash during a grocery order are fruit. Since I have been working at my part-time job, I have learned the names of many new fruit that I had no knowledge of before. For example, I learn about dragon fruit from working at my job. My art word of the week relate to fruit because all fruit have different shapes. Apples are round, bananas are long and think and star fruits are actually in the shape of a star.
The topic of fruit can relate to the field of early childhood education because as educator we need to promote healthy living/eating to children. The Days Nursery Act also states that early childhood programs need to provide children with a recommended amount of fruit in their daily food servings. Educator can teach children about the different shapes, colours and names of fruit and tell children how important it is to eat a fruit on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment